Translate

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Circling the Drain

When I took a class on wills and trusts, the professor referred to dying clients as "circling the drain," which I thought amusing enough to adopt myself. But it is sad to see stories discussing America not only as circling the drain, but having produced what is in the drain. David Goldman has a short piece on Putin and a defense of Western liberties. But he also notes that democracies do not always defeat tyrants. Particularly democracies that are rotten at the core, warning:
I do not know whether Putin will succeed. But I am sure beyond the shadow of doubt that if we keep making billionaires out of scum like Dr. Dre, we will fail. There was something better than Russian-style nationalism once. It was American patriotism. If we forget it, the land will puke us out.

No comments:

Post a Comment