Translate

Monday, January 27, 2014

And the Universe Yawned

Amy Glass says that she views stay-at-home mothers with contempt. She writes:
Every time I hear someone say that feminism is about validating every choice a woman makes I have to fight back vomit.

Do people really think that a stay at home mom is really on equal footing with a woman who works and takes care of herself? There’s no way those two things are the same. It’s hard for me to believe it’s not just verbally placating these people so they don’t get in trouble with the mommy bloggers.

... You will never have the time, energy, freedom or mobility to be exceptional if you have a husband and kids.

I hear women talk about how “hard” it is to raise kids and manage a household all the time. I never hear men talk about this. It’s because women secretly like to talk about how hard managing a household is so they don’t have to explain their lack of real accomplishments. Men don’t care to “manage a household.” They aren’t conditioned to think stupid things like that are “important.”
Another Ibsen woman--spewing the same post-Victorian b.s. for the past 100+ years. I'm not even going to try and go into the misconception that raising children is easy. Glass obviously has no idea. And I suppose that I could explain that between modern conveniences and all-day public schools, "stay-at-home" moms eventually are the only ones that have time to indulge their creative sides and interests to any great degree.

I could also address that what Glass is really saying is that if you have adult responsibilities, you have to act like an adult. You can't just pack the bags and fly to Barbados or Paris. Except, most women without kids and husbands don't get to do that anyway. So it is really an empty promise.

But, I suppose, in the end, what I will say is that the Universe just doesn't care about women like Glass who choose to live in perpetual adolescence. She is an evolutionary dead-end. No offspring to pass on her genes or her values. A meaningless life that will disappear beneath the waves of time without even a ripple to show it ever happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment