As expected, there have been coast-to-coast demonstrations after a jury found George Zimmerman not guilty in the killing of Travyn Martin. However, the Justice Department is ready to take a second bite at the apple:
In a move which could have dramatic ramifications, the Justice Department confirmed today that it will look into the shooting death of Trayvon Martin to determine whether federal prosecutors should file criminal charges against George Zimmerman in the wake of his acquittal.
The department opened an investigation into Martin's death last year but stepped aside to allow the state prosecution to proceed.
In a statement Sunday, the Justice Department said the criminal section of the civil rights division, the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's office for the Middle District of Florida are continuing to evaluate the evidence generated during the federal probe, in addition to the evidence and testimony from the state trial.
The statement said that, in the government's words, 'experienced federal prosecutors will determine whether the evidence reveals a prosecutable violation.'Will Hispanics protest if Zimmerman faces a second trial?